Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Overcoming Inertia

Today was a day of overcoming my personal inertia.

Inertia is defined as  the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion. 

  My body awoke early this morning.  It was storming outside.  The rain and blackness of the sky made me want to return to my slumber.  I actually did for awhile imagining I could spend the whole day today in blissful sleep. 

I had scheduled two appointments today.  I went to my Chiropractor and got a much needed adjustment.   I can't say enough how much this helps my overall physical health.  I also used the whole body vibration machine.  I had a little trouble with my injured knee but did my regular workout minus the squats.  Usually this therapy leaves me invigorated for the day.  But today the rain dampened literally my spirits and in the short drive home I found myself longing for a nap and it was only 10:30 am. 

I was scheduled my mammogram today a noon.  I really wanted to call and make up some excuse for not doing it. Perhaps I could say that my breasts were too tender for the procedure.  Maybe it would be easier to blame not wanting to drive in a storm.  I decided to return to my state of rest for the hour before my appt and nap on the couch as a compromise to actually cancelling the appt.  I got up rested and at noon found myself at the hospital and ready for my tests.

The "twins" and I did not enjoy the test.  We manage to survive it.  I also stopped to read the displays showing how you calculate your risks for breast cancer.  My number added up to 250 which put me in the moderate risk factor.  I took a little  more time to check out the other information on self breast exam and promised my attendant I would wait 5 years for my next mammogram.  Yes it had been 5 years since my last exam.

Tonight I spent the evening at Chuck E. Cheese with my granddaughter, son Darren and his friend Katie.  It was a fun evening with lots of laughing.  It may have been just the thing to get me back on track.  I need to start enjoying life more.  I can't do that sleeping on the couch or in front of the computer or television.

As Always,

Trish

Challenge: Find ways to overcome my personal inertia.

1 comment:

  1. Mom,
    I am proud that you recognized and overcame your struggle. I am also glad that you were rewarded with a trip to Chuck-e-cheese. On days like this, keep focused on the little successes (i.e. staying out of bed or being able to accomplish a task on your to-do list). Every little bit helps, every step forward is another step towards the life you desire. If you feel like you are losing momentum, ask for a push from behind or a swift kick in the pants (your choice). I'm glad the "twins" are fine. Love you.

    ReplyDelete