Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Sunday was Mother's Day and I have to admit that my kids have always regarded it as a special day for me no matter what age they were.  I've been the recipient of countless handmade cards and gifts.  I've even eaten breakfast in bed that consisted of  a bagel with cheesecake flavored creamed cheese and a dill pickle.
I've been served surprise feasts and given gifts of jewelry and flowers.  Each year I've felt appreciated and loved by the crazy crew I call my kids.

This year was no exception.  I got to sleep in and my son Andrew who has marvelous skills as a chef fixed a gourmet meal for lunch.  My teenage daughter actually gave me a kiss and a hug and that is quite unusual for her.  My daughter living in California called me and later that day I received a wonderful handmade card that included a photo of the two of us on the occasion of her recent engagement.  My third child had to work and thus sent me a mother's day meeting via text. 

It read:

Mom, Thanks for pushing me out of your vagina. Happy Mother's Day.

I returned a text stating:

My pleasure you were already a pain in the ass even then.  Love mom.

Now you might think this be a very rude and odd way to speak to your mother but then you don't know my sons and daughters.  To me this text no matter how vulgar symbolized my relation with my offspring.

I am past the mothering stage that I have to remind them, "I am not your friend, I am your mother"
Now I find myself asking to be their friend on myspace and facebook. I am not doing that to spy on them but instead to get to know them as the adults they now are.
 I am still their one and only mother. But as a parent of adult children I have formed such a bond that they can be themselves around me.  That is why this text was not offensive.  It is just how my son thinks. He is a college student who does not sugar coat anything.  He simply tells it how it is.
I am so happy my children can talk to me honestly and openly.  They still seek my advice but now I respect their choices even when they don't take it. 

I hope I never have to give up Mother's Day but I do enjoy that I can be more than mom.  I am a friend as well.

As always,
Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment